9.23.2013

easy + delicious chicken noodle soup | recipe


Once upon a time, my sister in law brought us dinner.  And even though I think any meal that I don't have to make myself is delicious, this, my friends is Word-To-Your-Mother good.

Not even kidding.  Angels eat this in Heaven, I'm pretty sure.

I begged for the recipe, she happily obliged. I decided to tweak it just a tad.  I wasn't exactly excited about the swiss chard [which she had omitted as well].  You can find the original recipe here.  But here's my version, chard-less:


// The Ingredients //

2 TBS canola oil
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 tsp minced fresh thyme, OR 1/4 tsp dried
1/2 - 1 tsp italian seasoning, depending on what you like
2 TBS flour
9 cups chicken broth
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup [or two handfuls] egg noodles
salt + pepper to taste

// The Steps //

Prepare all ingredients before starting.  In a large saucepan or pot, heat the oil over medium heat until simmering.  Add the onion, carrots, celery, thyme + italian seasoning.  Cook until the vegetables are slightly soft, approx. 5 minutes.  Stir in the flour + cook until golden, approx. 1 minute.

Slowly stir in the chicken broth until smooth.  Bring to a simmer.  Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the chicken + cook until the chicken is cooked all the way through [registers 160-165° on an instant-read thermometer, if you have one].  

Add the egg noodles + continue to simmer until the noodles are soft.  Add salt + pepper to taste.

// The Tips //

Cut up + chop everything before you start.
I like to use slightly frozen [or slightly de-thawed] chicken breasts - they are so much easier to cut.
This soup would be great made ahead or frozen, but don't add the egg noodles until you're almost ready to eat - they'll soak up all the broth.
Careful with the salt. Not that I'm speaking from experience... [cough]
Homemade dinner rolls + a tall glass of milk just make this soup more awesome.
Pinning the image below makes YOU awesome! ;)


There you have it. Happy soup making! --xoxo

This post is brought to you by awesome sister in laws that make you dinners + share recipes, + awesome neighbors who let you borrow carrots when you realize, after cutting the onion + celery, that yours are moldy. And can do the downward dog yoga pose.  

1 post a comment :

lovecinnamonbears said...

Sounds yummy. I can totally make this gluten free. Thanks for sharing my friend.

Post a Comment

Post a Comment